- If you are a parent, or you are supporting a parent, whose child experienced trauma or neglect in early childhood, Hope for Healing: A Parent’s Guide to Trauma and Attachment may hold the answers to many of your questions. This thoughtful guide, written by therapists and parents who live and work with children who have a disorder or disturbance of attachment, will help parents, family members, educators, and others learn to support children on their path to healthy, loving and trusting relationships. The six-hour DVD was designed to be used in support group settings and by therapists in the training of caretakers.
- A companion piece useful for working through Hope For Healing.
The six-hour DVD follows the topics introduced in ATTACh's book Hope for Healing: A handbook for parents of children who have disorders of attachment. The accompanying Study Guide can also be used as a springboard for discussion of the issues and techniques presented. The presenter is Mary M. McGowan, Executive Director of ATTACh and adoptive parent of five. This DVD will help parents, family members, educators, and others learn to support children on their path to healthy, loving, and trusting relationships.
- The six-hour DVD follows the topics introduced in ATTACh’s book Hope for Healing: A handbook for parents of children who have disorders of attachment.
- Raily el valiente es la historia de un pequeño osito con sentimientos grandes. Únase a este osito súper genial mientras que enfrenta sus miedos con los animales que lo aman. Incluye un epílogo educativo para adultos. "Criaturas grandes y buenas" pueden ayudar a los "ositos" en sus vidas mientras ellos leen una y otra vez este divertido y conmovedor libro para niños. Recomendado para edades de 3-103 años. ---¿QUÉ ES ESTO? Más que solo un libro con dibujos brillante y atractivo, Riley el Valiente es una herramienta impulsada por las más modernas ciencias del cerebro para ayudar a aquellos que se recuperan de las experiencias adversas de la infancia y a los padres, familiares, maestros, terapeutas y otros adultos comprensivos en sus vidas. Buy on Amazon
- Si usted es un padre, o apoya a un padre cuyo hijo sufrió trauma o abandono en su infancia, Esperanza para sanar: una guía para padres sobre el trauma y apego puede contener las respuestas a muchas de sus preguntas. Esta guía reflexiva, escrita por terapeutas y padres que viven y trabajan con niños que tienen un trastorno o alteración del apego, ayudará a los padres, familiares, educadores y otros a aprender a apoyar a los niños en su camino hacia relaciones sanas, amorosas y de confianza.Buy on Amazon
- Riley the Brave is the story of a little bear with big feelings. Join this super-cool cub as he faces his fears with the animals who love him. Includes educational afterword for caring adults."Big critters" can help the "cubs" in their lives as they read and re-read this playful and poignant children's book. Recommended for ages 3-103WHAT IS IT? More than just a bright and engaging hardback picture book, RILEY THE BRAVE is a tool powered by the latest brain science to help those healing from Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and the parents, family, teachers, therapists and other caring adults in their lives. HOW DOES IT WORK? Through the power of story, parts of the brain blocked by shame, fear or sadness are reached. The story is accessible for all different kinds of families and helps those NOT impacted by trauma better understand their own big feelings as well as what their friends or classmates might be experiencing. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE AFTERWORD? Easy-to-understand brain science for parents and professionals.HOW IS RILEY THE BRAVE BEING USED? IN THE HOME: It has already become the favorite bedtime story of many - even babies can connect with the colorful images and engaging animals. It also eases conversations about big feelings and challenging behaviors. IN THE CLASSROOM: Fostering social-emotional learning and supporting a trauma-informed environment. It also opens conversations about different kinds of families and race in a non-threatening way. IN HEALTH CARE SETTINGS: Therapists in out-patient and in-patient settings are reporting profound responses to the story and break-through moments in treatment. Pediatricians are adding Riley the Brave to their resource libraries, especially with all the helpful extras available online. IN CHILD WELFARE ORGANIZATIONS: Riley the Brave is a perfect tool for training and supporting staff and parents involved with foster care and adoption.Buy on Amazon
- Kudos to Barbara and Cathy for showing us how to keep the heart-connection with our child strong and healthy, regardless of their age. —Dr. Tim Kimmel, Author of Grace-Based Parenting. Once you understand attachment, parenting makes a lot more sense. The basics of child development, and the importance of attachment, will equip you to create meaningful and secure relationships that last a lifetime. You’ll discover: what is healthy attachment, how to nurture connection in various ages and stages, the crucial differences between punishment and discipline, how child development research aligns with biblical truth, attachment doesn’t create a clingy and codependent child—it equips kids to have healthy relationships throughout their lifetime. Dr. Barbara Sorrels is a mom and grandmother. Her experience as a parent, teacher, early childhood administrator, children’s pastor, university professor, and consultant brings a unique perspective to her speaking, and writing. Cathy Chalmers, M.A., began her education in the field of psychology. She has worked in psychiatric residential treatment, a developmental pediatric clinic, and in private practice. Cathy and her husband are proud parents of two adult daughters. Through research, heart, and wisdom this book shows why attachment is so important to raising emotionally secure and spiritually healthy kids. —John Finch, bestselling author of The Father Effect. What a gift of practical advice, supported by years of research and application! Full of hope and promise for every parent. — Deniese Dillon, Co-founder and Executive Director Emeritus of the adoption agency, Dillon International, Inc.Buy on Amazon
- Capturing the warmth and fun of forming close relationships with children, this book offers simple advice to parents of children who find it difficult to attach and bond - whether following adoption, divorce or other difficult experiences.Attachment therapist Deborah D. Gray describes how to use the latest thinking on attachment in your daily parenting. She reveals sensory techniques which have proven to help children bond - straightforward activities like keeping close eye contact or stroking a child's feet or cheeks - and explains why routines like mealtimes and playtime are so important in helping children to attach. The book offers positive ideas for responding to immediate crises like difficult behavior and meltdowns, but importantly also offers longer-term strategies to help children to develop the skills they need to cope as they grow up - the ability to plan, concentrate and be in control of their emotions.Offering fascinating insights into how children who struggle to attach can be helped, this book is full of easy-to-use ideas which will help you to enjoy the many pleasures of bonding and attaching with your child.Buy on Amazon
- Adopted children who have suffered trauma and neglect have structural brain change, as well as specific developmental and emotional needs. They need particular care to build attachment and overcome trauma.This book provides professionals with the knowledge and advice they need to help adoptive families build positive relationships and help children heal. It explains how neglect, trauma and prenatal exposure to drugs or alcohol affect brain and emotional development, and explains how to recognise these effects and attachment issues in children. It also provides ways to help children settle into new families and home and school approaches that encourage children to flourish. The book also includes practical resources such as checklists, questionnaires, assessments and tools for professionals including social workers, child welfare workers and mental health workers.This book will be an invaluable resource for professionals working with adoptive families and will support them in nurturing positive family relationships and resilient, happy children. It is ideal as a child welfare text or reference book and will also be of interest to parents.Buy on Amazon
- Attaching in Adoption is a comprehensive guide for prospective and actual adoptive parents on how to understand and care for their adopted child and promote healthy attachment.This classic text provides practical parenting strategies designed to enhance children's happiness and emotional health. It explains what attachment is, how grief and trauma can affect children's emotional development, and how to improve attachment, respect, cooperation and trust. Parenting techniques are matched to children's emotional needs and stages, and checklists are included to help parents assess how their child is doing at each developmental stage. The book covers a wide range of issues including international adoption, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, and learning disabilities, and combines sound theory and direct advice with case examples throughout.This book is a must-read for anyone interested in adoption and for all adoptive families. It will also be a valuable resource for adoption professionals.Buy on Amazon
Training for Parents and Professionals2 Sessions of Training Starts: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 7:30 pm Central** after adding, click on View Cart to complete payment